The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Kinesiology, evaluated the IIAA program. Excerpts from this highly favorable evaluation are as follows:
- IIAA participants had more respect and concern for others than the nonparticipants.
- IIAA participants were higher in cohesion, respect for social conventions, and also higher in task orientation.
- Students who participated were higher in several desirable pro-social attributes.
- IIAA experience has beneficial psychological effects that seem to translate to more pro-social beliefs.
- Participation is related to enhanced self-esteem.
- Participants feel better about themselves when they participate. For adolescents at risk because of perceived social rejection, this is not a trivial issue.
Contact Dave Dance to obtain full report (217-827-1413; firstname.lastname@example.org)